Friday, November 17, 2006

What I Didn't learn in the Third Grade...

So it’s a nice fall day and my friends and I are exploring the playground during recess – one of us finds a sheet discarded in the tall grass against the fence – we’ve never seen anything like it before – someone says it’s alien waste – it’s a sheet of paper with thick dark waxy stuff on one side and grayish and blank on the other – we all take turns inspecting it trying to figure out what it is – quickly someone tosses it in fear and we all run off to play somewhere else—

Later I look at my friend George and notice he has some blue stuff on his face – “what is that” I say astonished – we look at Kenny and he has blue on his face too – I reach for my face to feel if anything is on it and they both stare at me with wide eyes “ITS ON YOUR FACE TOO!” they say – I look at my arms and notice it there too and on my friend Ian also and we all start to freak out – “what is it!” – “It’s from that alien paper! We are infected!” someone screams –

We try to think what to do – George says we should go to the Office and tell someone -- I freak out more – For me there are only two reasons to talk to an adult – one cuz your in trouble or two…I don’t know what the other one is but I told George not to go – Recess was about to end and we had to think of something – we could be dying!! – George finally gives in and despite what me and Kenny say he runs off to the Office – Later he comes back all cleaned up and smiling happy – we ask him what happened and if he got in trouble – A man of few words he says nothing and heads off away from us - -

Kenny and I debate a little longer as Ian heads straight to the Office – He quickly returns all fine and explains to us it’s ok the nurse rubs some stuff on you and cleans it right off – Kenny and I are still skeptical something bad is going to happen – Kenny finally decides to go in – But I still wait until the last minute – the recess bell rings and all the kids file into class – I don’t want to go to class all blue but I don’t want to go to the Office so I get reel panicky – and then I see Kenny go to class and he seems fine so finally I sheepishly head to the nurse – She sees me and smiles – she brings out some rubbing alcohol and rubs off the marks – I ask her if its alien stuff on me and she smiles and explains the paper we touched was copy paper and the dark side was ink – she asks if there are anymore kids and I say I am the last and she tells me to not “play with garbage or touch strange things, even if it looks clean, cuz stuff can spread to your body and get you all dirty” ---

Which reminds me it’s time for my biannual screening – even still today I am scared to go talk to a professional – but I have to do it - I cant avoid the Office forever – So I’ll sit there as the nurse takes my blood and explains to me not to "touch strange things, even if it looks clean, cuz they could have things that can spread to your body and get you all dirty, and if you do to be sure to wear something to protect yourself" – Sure I’m not in the third grade anymore but I keep making the same mistakes….

No comments: